This is the ramblings of a thirty something woman trying to make sense of her chaotic life, sometimes reflective and always considerate join me for a view of our world.
Wednesday, 1 February 2012
Today is the National Day of Dignity. It was a chance to reflect and share good practice. At the place I manage we had a fun day with a cake bake off in two teams within the service. We asked another manager to be the judge so it was fair. I filmed this and asked people questions about what dignity and good support means. The answers were simple but compelling, being listened too, being respected, being yourself, treated as an equal. The manager who judged summed it up when she said it was about being included and that in the activity she had seen everyone in the service being included and taking part in a way which met their needs. For me as a service manager that made me feel very proud of what the team built today, how they feel and believe everyone is important and has a voice. Its very easy to assume you are a voice for people without listening to what they want and this is something I will ensure I will focus over this year. I will not assume or presume to think I know what those people I manage or support feel or want and I will be curious and inquisitive to learn as much as I can about people's needs, desires and wants. So I would urge everyone who works with people to set themselves a bew years dignity resolution so we can all strive to give people the support they really want.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment