Wednesday, 7 September 2011

How long does it take to learn a craft or skill?
This is a bit of a piece of string length question but I'm sure we can all agree some principles,
Firstly it depends on the learner and student, it depends on the complexity of the task and it also depends on the existing talent. But I ask my readers this, would you let someone remove a hernia if they have only been in training for three months? Would you let a builder build your extension who has been trained at great speed by someone who is not a master builder? Would you let someone tattoo you who has shown minimal drawing talent and who is been taught in a fast track way? Well I would answer no but apparently I must be in the minority. A tattoo apprentice should present a comprehensive portfolio to their prospective mentor, the mentor will usually then critique it and the apprentice will go away and work on their points before trying again. Once the mentor accepts to train them the apprentice will work cleaning and doing menial tasks for usually up to six months to show their commtiitment. At this point the mentor may if they feel the apprentice is showing promise may let then start to learn to use the tattoo machine on skin which initially the apprentice will do on themselves so they can understand the process and feeling. After this which usually last a few further months the mentor may feel they are ready for trying on others such as friends and then and only then may they show the promise to start on doing half price tattoos on members of the public. This progresses until eventually after a couple of years the mentor will say you are ready to not be my apprentice now you can call yourself an artist. Well this is the old fashioned way but a way which teaches you humility and respect. I am horrified to see the glut on so called apprentices who present artwork which is poor quality and then being let loose on people in a quick turn around to generate more income for business owners who believe they can call themselves artists, well I say shame on you.
In life you get the tattoo you deserve so if you go and see someone without checking out their experience and you get something shocking, well learn to ask questions and make informed choices.
Well there I have vented my frustrations but I am sure here I am preaching to the converted but please if a friend says oh I can get a cheap tattoo by a friend at home, or there's this apprentice they have only been working for a week so all their stuff is half price put them right. A tattoo is for life and sadly so are mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment