Hide behind the keyboard
I was checking out the social networking sites today as I do when I noticed that there are some really toxic people on forums, belittling people and undertaking low level cyber bullying. As a well brought up village girl my parents always said if you have nothing nice or constructive to say then don't say it. Why do perfectly normal, kind people become so aggressive when put behind a screen? Well probably because they see it as a victimless act, they don't see the distress or pain caused by their vitriolic remarks, so pat themselves on their backs for their wit and humour. In my mind they are no different to the people making rude remarks to people's faces, bullying is bullying however you see it. Society makes a lot of catchy, cliched responses to bullying, famous people saying they are against it, but I see the same people being disrespectful, comedians mocking people who they consider fair game... Now I'm no killjoy but we all have to make a stand on what kind of society we want and that needs to be the virtual society as well as the real world. Read through the post before pressing ok, and if you make comments then you need to be open about it, don't hide behind pseudonyms let people challenge you, that way we all have our freedom of speech, but also have ownership of what we say.
On a lighter note I went to a wedding reception last night for one of my husbands friends,
whom he has not seen for a while. It was a great night and gave us the chance to meet up
with old dear friends. And that's the great thing about true friends, you may not see them
every day, be in each others pockets but when you see them it's as if no time has passed and
you have that same relaxed relationship. So I wish the new mr and mrs Barty a wonderful marriage and thank them for giving us the chance to be part of this event. And if you have an old friend you haven't seen for ages don't worry about how it will feel when you see them, it will be just like it always is so enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment