Sunday, 10 July 2011

Who came up with that?
This morning as I battled with the frying pan and grill I thought we eat cereal everyday so why do we feel on a Sunday we have to have a full meal first thing in the morning? With every tradition somebody must have gone first. In every family you create your own traditions and then pass this on through the generations. If my sister reads this she will smile as she has refused to follow one of our family traditions around Christmas. On Christmas day My parents would not let us open anything except our stockings until after lunch was eaten, cleareed away and a walk happened. As a child this was tantamount to child abuse I often felt Esther ranzten would come and rescue us on Christmas day. Then one day I became a mum and then realised why this tradition is important in keeping the excitement and magic of the day going, and that my parents just wanted us to appreciate and enjoy the whole day, instead of the frenetic ripping open at six am that many children have, then spending the rest of the day bored and restless. My sister who sensibly has lovely labradors not children doesn't keep the tradition going, but I bet secretly she loves it when we make everyone wait when at my mums. To mean this is what tradition is all about a ritual that we enjoy and that holds us together. In the family I have created we have several traditions we have started which include Sunday breakfast, so although I moan about the cooking of it, it's a chance when we can all be brought together to eat and be a family. So my challenge for everyone today is think about your traditions or why not start a new one, it's a great feeling to think will your grandchildren be sharing it with their children and telling stories about you as I do with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment