Saturday, 9 July 2011

What a relief!
For the past ten days my life has been taken over by a combination of work and completing college assignments not leaving me much time for relaxing, blogging or catching up with friends. And this is the sacrifice anyone studying has to make when juggling life, which makes the prize of the qualification so much sweeter as you know you get your life back again. As I have another year on this course I still have a way to go but I do have a little respite now for a week. So this leads me onto the subject of sacrifice. I think making sacrifices is something we thatchers children lost site of. Our generation was encouraged to think we can have it all, children, career, holidays, money, possessions most of which was supported by a mountain of debt. The recession has been a humbling experience financially but we still need to think of the human sacrifice. Im not talking about dead bodies served to gods on mountains but the emotional sacrifices we make. Many mums reading this will recognise the huge pressure of working and being a mum, but, still be expected to make cupcakes, take children to swimming classes and grow your own veg! Something has got to give if your trying to have it all and often the things that give are the simple things, the glue that holds our lives together. Being able to relax with our children and watch them play, being able to just cuddle without having to have the pressure of date nights. Society makes us feel like failures, in every magazine there is another article designed to highlight your inadequacies, are you having great sex, are you a great lover, do you exfoliate, are you looking ten years younger, how high is your child's iq, are you climbing the career ladder.. Well I fail at many of these things, I don't spend hours taking my children to stimulating classes, but surprise surprise they have all had nice reports which say they are good and kind and try their best. My husband and I are not swinging from chandeliers every day but we love each other and are as happy and comparable now as we were when we met, I am not on a massive six figure salary but I love my job, and I may not have a degree but I am working on it bit by bit. So remember we all sacrifice so much in life, don't sacrifice your soul, enjoy your life and celebrate your achievements. And to quote a Disney film, "no one can make you feel inadequate except yourself". And I promise I will blog more regularly but if I don't that doesn't mean I'm a failure, just that I'm knackered.

No comments:

Post a Comment