Sunday, 24 July 2011

Why are humans designed to be cruel?
This weekend saw some terrible news. For me I was trying to organise a happy event, my youngest daughters birthday party. So after the initial shock of the shocking events in Norway I will admit I put this to the back of my mind while I concentrated on my family, after the party I came onto the Internet and then was given the news that Amy Winehouse was dead. I felt another wave of shock thinking how sad such talent was cut short and thinking of her lovely taxi driver Dad and imagining the pain he must feel. But what shocked me the most was the now normal human reaction which was hitting the twitter feed and Facebook of people making jokes about both situations. It seems that as a generation we have become immune to all tragedy and make jokes at life's cruel turns. Have we really lost that much empathy as mankind? I enjoy a good joke but don't like jokes which are as a result of others pain and hurt. Frankie Boyle defended his right to make fun of young Harvey, Katie Prices disabled son, saying mum made him fair game. I find this disgusting, yes I would agree Ms Price may put herself in the public spotlight which can mean she faces jibes but I have never seen her son court publicity, he is a child, surely in our modern world Mr Boyle should be prosecuted in some way for child abuse. Who is the person that thinks about those just warm corpses in Norway recently identified by a mother or father and thinks "now that is really funny". And for the amount of condemnation Ms Winehouse is receiving, she is dead your words won't change her but they will hurt her family. So I urge people to take a moment and think when they receive a joke, and ask you if you were burying your child how would you feel if the mourners started making jokes about your loved one?

No comments:

Post a Comment