Saturday, 18 June 2011

Milestones
Our lives are full of them, small markers along the journey we all make through life, some are big such as starting or leaving school, marriage, leaving home, divorce, losing ones we love and some are smaller such as first car, first kiss, first drink, but they are all as important in defining who we are and who we become. Well today was one of those milestones for the youngest and eldest in our family. Today my eldest son took my youngest daughter for her first ever trip to the cinema. She was so excited about being a big girl especially as she was going without someone she percieves as an adult, and yet for my son this was probably the first time I really gave him a huge responsibility of looking after such a precious thing as his sister for the whole afternoon. She arrived home so full of the film and what they did and my son and I laughed about how children ask endless questions and I looked at him and really saw the man he is becoming not the baby boy I cuddled and cared for. He is moving into such a new chapter as he leaves school in a couple of week,has his prom and then gets his exam results. All such big moments in his life. When I held him when he was born I could only dream of this time, and the pride in his achievements I feel. For the achievements he has made are about the way he makes people feel, the kindness he shows others, the loyalty he gives to his friends and the support he gives to his family. So treasure each milestone your children make, as they all help us understand them but also ourselves and the relationship our parents had with us. He will be highly embaraased I'm sure if he reads this, and no this does not mean I'm going to buy you anything young man!

No comments:

Post a Comment