We shall overcome
Today I had the huge privilege of attending the people first meeting in Suffolk. This is a meeting of people with learning disabilities and their supporters and advocates to speak and debate on issues facing the learning disability community in our area. So what was the hot potatoe issue I hear you ask well readers it was the impact of losing their right to free travel before nine thirty and the discrimination and in accessibility faced on our public transport. The group had organised for three local county councillors to attend and later on in the day a local MP. If the guests had thought for one minute they would get away with a nice chat they were mistaken, people power ruled and the guys attending gave them their views with both barrels. Their questions were insightful and challenging and made Jeremey Paxman look like a pussy cat. After forty five minutes of grilling the main county councillor left quickly and ahead of time without saying goodbye, this did not go down well with the guys with learning disabilities. The MP then came on and had to field all the issues passed his way by the councillor and he did this which a great deal of respect and candour, but most importantly he was honest and not patronising and everyone said they felt respected by him.
For me the most poignant comment was by a dear young friend of mine who has a learning disability as well as some very challenging physical disabilities, he simply said in relation to the county councillor "he should spend a day in my chair and experience my life through my eyes then perhaps he would change his view" And I thought there is a lesson for us all, to make descions that change people's lives we have to really understand the needs and challenges facing those people. I would challenge anyone not to have left that meeting feeling hugely inspired by the energy of a group of people who face far more adversity than most but still take on life's issues with the sure and simple hope that we can change the world if we all try and work together. I can only pray when I face problems I can have half the courage of the people I supported today.
No comments:
Post a Comment