Monday, 27 June 2011

Don't believe the hype
This evening I was watching the one show when I was witness to a five minute insult of my job by the delightful Katie Hopkins. Ms Hopkins who failed to win the apprentice seems to have a developed a new career as a spokesperson for the private sector speaking against so far equality for women and this piece was all about lazy public sector workers. The media love a strike to accuse unions and workers of being beligerent, money grabbing whingers, who like the opportunity to get out a placard and light a brazier. Is it not enough to be painted a villain in the tabloids, now the BBC is at it. Along with my staff, and co workers we have not received a pay rise for two years, and we accept the pay freezes as part of the pain of recession, we have not moaned as everyone has to take a hit, and we are very vulnerable to job losses but we understand this, has it affected my performance no, because I want to give the best support I can, and the customers are why I do my job. Now I'm not striking on Thursday but I know all those who are do not see this as a day off, let us remember they will not be paid for this, they understand the affect striking can have on the people they provide a service for. People are keen to knock teachers and I say have a week in their shoes, even myself as a care and support based career would not be able to cope with the huge pressure of teaching, which involves long hours marking and many weekends planning schemes of work.
Perhaps Katie Hopkins would like to try some public sector work, she targeted middle managers and said they were boring pen pushers, does this sound like me? I'm a middle manager, I have a diverse job which is very challenging, I am paid well but I work very hard to be the best staff member I can.
So next time you feel like having a daily mail moment, remember these lazy people, teach your childre, look after the vulnerable, care for the elderly, manage your community so are we really all bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment