What age is adulthood?
I was in my favourite cafe having lunch when the young waiter came over for a chat about tattoos. He is the same age as my son sixteen. He started telling me about the tattoo he was going to get and I said he would have two years to think about that. He said he wouldn't as his friends boyfriend was a tattoo artist and would do it for him underage. I explained that the law was clear that no one can tattoo a minor that is someone under 18, and what type of person would be willing to break the law, would this make them a reputable artist? He said he wasn't going to show a policeman so it didn't matter. Now this lad is not what I would describe as silly, he wants to be a social worker with children, and it was only when I asked him when he qualified as a social worker what would he think if he found a thirty year old bloke for example inking fifteen year old girls, it was only then the penny dropped. But the fact he had not even thought like this, sat back and reflected on the question of why someone would put their reputation at risk for what is probably a very cheap tattoo showed me he is not mature enough or old enough to get one. All over the UK we have children getting tattoos by people who are in my opinion a danger to children. Children cannot make an informed choice about the health risks, the quality of the tattoo and the implications to their future career at sixteen and this is why the law is clear you must be 18. So how can we protect our children? I urge everyone who is a parent to make sure you are not suckered in to the myth that your child can get inked under 18 if mum or dad says yes, personally I think the law needs to be stronger about piercing as well, My own view is apart form ears all piercings should only be available to over sixteens as in my husbands studio. I find it deeply disturbing to see thirteen year olds getting their belly pierced with their mum supporting them. But that is my own view, but regarding tattoo's report and shame studios who knowingly tattoo children under 18, I say knowingly as I do know there are always those children with fake id's which are an issue. And finally talk with your children educate them, I met a lovely mum yesterday at the studio who brought her 18 year old son in for his first tattoo , she said he had wanted it for ages but she supported him to wait and then find a suitable studio.
So here endeth the lesson and I make no apologies for preaching. Let's all make a stand to protect our children.
No comments:
Post a Comment