Monday, 13 June 2011

What would be your legacy?
A bit of a miserable topic for a blog entry but I hope to put a positive spin on this one. So why I am thinking about the end game today? Well it's been a bit of a couple of weeks really, with the focus seeming to be at saying goodbye and remembering. Last Tuesday was the anniversary of my dads passing, One year has passed and we all made it through that difficult 365 days of firsts, first birthday, fathers day, Christmas all AD (after Dad).
Last Friday I had to attend the funeral of one of the people I support fathers. It was a nice funeral if there is such a thing, but what struck me was the fact the song chosen was the same as my dads, but really when you think about it that's is bound to happen, I am sure when I am in my dotage attending friends funerals instead of What a wonderful world, we may have My heart must go on, or perhaps Smack my BItch UP!
Today at work we were given the news a very much loved lady who attends our day service is very poorly with a difficult prognosis, so we enjoyed telling some tales amongst ourselves of funny stories and laughed sending lots of positive energy to will her better. But all of this focus on the end of our lives made me reflect about my own legacy when I die, will it be the things I have achieved so far? My beautiful children perhaps, my career and the people I have made a difference too, maybe my colourful skin and positive energy. I hope it will be all these things from the now but I am determined to also make it lots of other things from my future. So to everyone reading this make today count and live to create a beautiful tapestry of memories, as it's these things that give comfort to your loved ones when they lose you, not the songs you choose when you die.

No comments:

Post a Comment